- ALL HOUSEHOLD GOODS AND PERSONAL EFFECT SHIPMENTS MUST BE INSPECTED AT ORIGIN BEFORE EMBARKATION. LACK OF PRE-INSPECTION WILL RESULT IN RETURN OF HOUSEHOLD GOODS AND PERSONAL EFFECTS TO PORT OF ORIGIN AT SHIPPER'S EXPENSE. PLEASE CONSULT WITH THE ECUADORIAN DESTINATION AGENT FOR FURTHER INFORMATION.
- Diplomatic shipments are excluded from the above requirements.
- Customer must be in Ecuador at time of customs clearance.
- Foreigners and immigrants can import household goods duty free, contingent on the issue of a visa valid for over one year
- Used household goods and personal effects are duty-free for:
- Foreign diplomats
- Ecuadorian diplomats
- Ecuadorians retiring from official assignments in international organizations
- Any cost incurred for obtaining this certificate is not included in the door-to-door cost of the move, and is for the Customer’s account
- Shipments for foreigners, immigrants and returning nationals must arrive within 60 days of the Customer
- Ecuadorians with at least one (1) year abroad are allowed duty free entry of household goods.
- All shipper may import one electric appliance. (Any extras may be dutiable)
- Shipments on which all conditions are not fulfilled will be subject to payment of import taxes (approx. 43% of CIF value, calculated by Customs after inspection)
- Original Passport with proper Visa
- Inventory (in Spanish) must be legalized at origin by Consulate of Ecuador
- Ecuadorian citizens returning after a minimum of one (1) year of legal residence abroad require a resident visa from the country they are moving from
- Immigrant Visa
- Migration Certificate, issued at destination by Migration Police
- Work contract valid for more than one year (foreigners with non-immigrant working visa)
- Pornographic material
- Foodstuffs and live plants
- Firearms and ammunition
- Drugs and narcotics
- New items and shipments in excess of a certain valuation are subject to duties
- Limited quantities of alcoholic beverages and tobacco products may be allowed
- Only one of each item allowed, additional items subject to payment of duties
- Electrical appliances must not be shipped with original packing
- May import up to three pets
- Documents required:
- Health Certificate
- Vaccine Certificate
- Importation of used vehicles is prohibited
- Motor vehicles are subject to duties (approx. 65% of CIF value)
- Previous authorization from the Ministry of Finance required before new vehicle is shipped from origin
- To import a motor vehicle, it must be brand new, and it must be inspected at origin before embarkation (even if it is sharing a container with household goods)
NOTE: Customs clearance process takes approximately 4-5 weeks in Guayaquil and approximately 2 weeks in Quito.
NOTE: Customs regulations are subject to change at any time. The proceeding information is a brief summary of customs regulations applicable to household goods shipments to this destination and is being provided for general guidance to assist our Agents and Customers.
Since such regulations are subject to change without notice, we cannot be held liable for any costs, damage, delays, or other detrimental events resulting from non-compliance.
Always double check with your local embassy or consulate.
Document and Form Downloads:
Which state are you moving from?