- CUSTOMER MUST BE PRESENT IN INDIA AT THE TIME OF CUSTOMS CLEARANCE IN ORDER TO SIGN A DECLARATION OF CONTENTS
- Foreign nationals produce a visa valid for one year
- All shipments 100% inspected
- Sea shipments must be shipped within 30 days of customers arrival and air shipments within 15 days of shippers arrival.
- Used household goods and personal effects are duty-free for foreign nationals and Indians transferring residence to India provided:
- The goods have been owned and used for a minimum of one year prior to importation
- Indian Citizens have resided outside the country for two years and intend on staying in India for a year
- Passport for all family members
- Visa (to reside in India for at least one year)
- Inventory, valued in English (indicating date purchased) and itemized (brand, model and serial number of all major appliances must be noted and in English)
- Indian Customs Declaration Form (to be signed in presence of Customs Officer)
- Diplomatic shipments require Duty Exemption Certificates from the government of India
- Insurance policy
- Weapons, firearms and ammunition (unless licensed in advance)
- Live plants
- Politically sensitive literature
- Pornographic material
- Large quantities of cosmetics, toiletries, food, etc.
- Tobacco and alcohol products (alcoholic products attract duties over 200%)
- Professional equipment may be imported duty-free with evidence/certificates proving qualifications of profession to Customs
- Manufacturers cartons should not be used for shipping; it is recommended that goods be re-packed and tags and brochures (for new items) not be put in the cartons
- Gold or silver in any form other than ornaments
- Electronic equipment and appliances (only one of each is allowed)
- New items and consumables
- One only of cat, dog, or parrot
- Health Certificate, rabies and other vaccinations required
- ALL VEHICLES including boats are subject to DUTY and very high taxes
- Prior to Customs clearance, foreign nationals are required to furnish a bank bond for import trade authorities, stating not to sell the car for a specified period
- Documents required:
- Owner's passport indicating two years residence abroad (original)
- Manufacturer's invoice (original)
- Auto Registration Certificate
- List of extras and purchase date
- Customs Clearing Permit/Import License
- Insurance Policy
- Indians can sell the car immediately upon Customs clearance
- Indians can import brand new cars up to 1600cc
- Cars exceeding 1600cc must have been registered in the importers name abroad for at least one year
DUTY AND TAX RATE %:
- All used Household Goods (more than 1 year old) are duty-free
- The following items are dutiable at 25% (new or used)
- Washing Machine
- LPG cooking Range
- Music System
- Personal Computer
- Air Conditioner
- Deep Freezer
- Microwave Oven
- Video Camera
- Word Processor
- FAX Machine
- If the total value of the above items exceeds RS 150,000,(approximately $4250) or items that exceed the one-piece limit will attract a dut of approximately 62%.
- All new articles, whether furniture, crockery, etc., are charged a duty of at least 50%.
NOTE: Customs regulations are subject to change at any time. The proceeding information is a brief summary of customs regulations applicable to household goods shipments to this destination and is being provided for general guidance to assist our Agents and Customers.
Since such regulations are subject to change without notice, we cannot be held liable for any costs, damage, delays, or other detrimental events resulting from non-compliance.
Always double check with your local embassy or consulate.
Document and Form Downloads:
Which state are you moving from?