Moving to Germany

International moving companies to Germany


  • Inheritance Items
    • Death Certificate
    • "Erbschein" or an official document which certifies the customer has inherited the items from the deceased and states the relation ship between them
  • Wedding Trousseaux
    • Marriage Certificate
    • If household goods are imported before the marriage, proof must be furnished the marriage will take place within two months
  • Used household goods are duty-free if Customer has resided at least one year abroad, if the goods were owned by Customer over six months and will not be sold for a minimum of one year
  • Goods should be imported within one year of Customer taking up residence; if not, reasons needed for delay - maximum limit three years


  • Copy of Passport (the page showing photo) and copy of Visa and/or Work Permit (for foreign citizens only)
  • Inventory (original) in German or English, valued, dated and signed by the Customer
  • Signed declaration, stating the imported goods are the owners personal effects
  • Foreign citizens must obtain a Work Permit (Arberterlaubnis) issued by the local employment office
  • Customer's declaration that no taxable high value goods (such as alcohol, tobacco, coffee, tea, guns, etc.) are in shipment. Such goods must be listed separately and will be taxed.
  • Certificate of Registration (Anmeldebestaetigung) from the local registration office (Einwohnermeldeamt)
  • German nationals need a declaration from German Embassy or Consulate confirming their length of stay abroad and exact destination address in Germany. Without this document, shipment will not clear Customs.
  • Residence Visa (not needed for German nationals) or Residence Permit (granted only after a Work Permit has been issued)
  • Certificate of registration with the German police ("Polizeiliche Anmeldung")
  • German Customs Form 0350 (Zollantrag) in triplicate, stating goods will not be sold for one year
  • Health Certificate may be required
  • Copy of Insurance Certificate
  • Customs clearance Power of Attorney Form authorizing Destination Agent to act on behalf of the customer in liaison with Customs
  • Foreign diplomats need a Certificate from the Embassy or Consulate
  • Power of Attorney
  • Signed declaration, stating the imported goods are not subject to any customs restrictions (e.g. drugs, weapons, etc.)
  • Statement of Transfer from employer (in German if possible) should state the shipper was an employee for the company abroad, how long he/she has lived in this certain country, and will remain an employee of the company in Germany


  • Guns require a Certificate of Registration, valid passport of owner, proof of ownership, and a gun license for importation
    • Duty-free if firearm has been owned for at least six months prior to importing
    • Guns must be easily accessible
    • Must apply for a German Ownership Permit
    • List as last items on inventory, indicate model, caliber and serial number
  • Live plants (need special Import Permit)
  • Pornographic material
  • Certain types of meat
  • Any protected animal or species, dried plant or items of historical significance (ivory, snakeskin, leopard fur, pre-Colombian items, etc.)
  • Absinthe, methyl alcohol and pure alcohol
  • Radioactive material
  • Wine, grape juice and other various foodstuffs and consumer goods in large quantity
  • Explosives
  • Ammunition
  • Drugs and narcotics


  • New items (less than six months old) invoice required
  • Alcohol
    • Inventory must detail exact number and size of bottles, exact alcoholic strength in percent, and value of each bottle.
  • Tobacco, tea, coffee, toilet waters, perfumes, etc.
  • Foodstuffs in large quantities (do not recommend shipping with household goods)
  • Electronic items such as computers, videos, stereos, etc. (must show serial number and have purchase invoice)
    • Duplicate appliances or electrical equipment may be assessed high duties
  • Large amounts of handicrafts


  • Dogs, cats and canaries permitted with Health Certificate (in German or with a translation) issued by a licensed veterinarian describing the animal and stating that the pet is free from rabies and contagious diseases
  • Health Certificate is valid ten days from the date in which it was issued (20 days for pets coming from non-European countries)
  • All endangered species and exotic animals are prohibited


  • Admitted duty-free if Customer has lived abroad for over one year, has owned and used the auto for a minimum of six months, if brought in for personal use with household goods and will not be sold for one year
  • Cars must be inspected before licensing, comply with German technical and environmental regulations and require modifications
  • Documents required:
    • Proof of ownership
    • Car documents
    • Insurance record from country of origin
    • Third-party liability insurance that begins with Customs clearance
    • Declaration of Customer that no high value goods are in car
    • Origin Registration and copy of title
    • Commercial invoice, if new vehicle
    • It is highly recommended that the Customer informs the Destination Agent of all auto details prior to importing.
    • German driver's license
    • Owner's passport
    • Owner's police registration in Germany (polizieliche Anmeldebestatigung)

NOTE: Customs regulations are subject to change at any time. The proceeding information is a brief summary of customs regulations applicable to household goods shipments to this destination and is being provided for general guidance to assist our Agents and Customers. Since such regulations are subject to change without notice, we cannot be held liable for any costs, damage, delays, or other detrimental events resulting from non-compliance. Always double check with your local embassy or consulate.

Which state are you moving from?

AK | AL | AR | AZ | CA | CO | CT | DE | DC | FL | GA | HI | IA | ID | IL | IN | KS | KY | LA | MA | MD | ME | MI | MN | MO | MS | MT | NC | ND | NE | NH | NJ | NM | NV | NY | OH | OK | OR | PA | RI | SC | SD | TN | TX | UT | VT | VA | WA | WI | WV | WY
International Shipping Coupons Moving to UK Door to Door Service
Federal Maritime Commission International Association of Movers American Moving & Storage Association Directory of Standard Carrier Alpha Codes National Motor Freight Traffic Association
Click for the BBB Business Review of this Shipping Masters in Miami FL


"I just received my shipment in my house in Paris this afternoon and I wanted to thank you for the great service you have provided me. The movers did a great job packing and were polite and efficient...” Read More

Katherine S.

"I just wanted to thank you for your great service from Miami to Paris. Everything arrived in good shape. Jeroen from WRF was helping me with the forms and was very patient. I will definitely recommend you to family and friends.” Read More

Carl S.

Share This:

International Services

International Services

Packing Services

Packing Services

Shipping and Car

Shipping and Car Services



Copyright © Blue Horizon Shipping. All Rights Reserved.

Privacy Policy